Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday as a Parent...

As a parent, I completely get the cosmic, apocalyptic images of Good Friday...if someone was executing my son, I would want the earth to quake - I would want graves ripped open and their occupants to come forth in protest - I would want darkness to cover the city to acknowledge the darkness in my own soul - how could God react any less. The ground shakes, the sun darkens, the line between death and life dims...God grieves and the entire physical world reacts. I get this...completely! If anything were ever to happen to Spencer - my world would have the same reaction. When Spencer entered our world - at this time in the liturgical calendar - my world was rocked. God's love and grief shook the very foundations and light of our known world. But, then, something amazing happened...God took in the blood stained cross, God took in the sepulcher sealed with a heavy granite stone, God took in the extreme, anguished grief of Jesus' Mother, Jesus' disciples Mary and Mary...and God added their grief to God's own - and shook the very foundations of earth and life. God declared that grief...death...anguish...are not the final answer. God said, I am...I am not done...I have more to say...I have more to do...and YOU...YOU...YOU...and YOU...and you...and you..and..you...and you...and you...you....are going to continue the story..."I am never done with any of you...and the story always continues..." declares God....

It is Good Friday...it is always Good Friday...but resurrection is coming...will come...is always coming...God is NEVER FINISHED...

No comments:

Post a Comment